Along the large Via d’Azeglio and near Piazza Baracca is the peculiar CHURCH OF SANTI GIOVANNI E PAOLO.
The church is also known as Church of the Angeli Custodi (lit. church of the Guardian Angels) due to the Memorial of the Holy Guardian Angel (October 2nd), depicted in a 17th-century painting preserved on the inside of the church.
Once located right next to the city walls, the church originally (6th century AD) had three naves divided by pillars, and the apse was located in the place of the current facade.
Of the original structure, only some remains of the perimeter walls are still visible. After undergoing a renovation in the 10th century, the church was almost completely reconstructed in 1758 thanks to Domenico Barbiani.
The medieval bell tower (maybe dating back to the 9th century) is peculiar – it had to be quadrangular in the past, while circular in most recent times. According to some, it is one of the most ancient ones of the city.
The Baroque church has a Latin-cross plant and a rich stucco decoration, with frescoes by Cesare Pronti, paintings by Gioacchino Muzzarelli, Pietro Ciomei and Cesare Pronti.