The ex-sugar factory of Classe is located in Classe, at a short distance from the centre of Ravenna. Built between 1899 and 1900 and abandoned for many decades now, the big industrial complex consists of a number of brick buildings, some of which single-story, with big side and front windows.
As soon as the restoration works of the inner rooms will be completed, the structure will reopen and turn into the Classis Ravenna – Museum of The City and the Territory, which will house the finds of the nearby archaeological site, as well as a reconstruction of the story of Ravenna and of its territory.
In addition, the structure will host an international centre of excellence for the restoration and preservation of ancient mosaics, that will enhance the cooperation between students, university researchers and experts and encourage the exchange of knowledge and best practices regarding the restoration procedures and the preservation of archaeological finds.
How to get there
The ex-sugar factory is situated at a 2-minute walk from the railway station of Classe, in the surroundings of the Basilica of Sant’Apollinare in Classe. It is also possible to reach it by car or by bus (bus route 4 Ravenna-Classe)