Official Tourist Information Site
of Ravenna

Church of San Michele in Africisco

Via IV Novembre, 37 - Ravenna

Almost hidden from sight, a bell tower decorated with Gothic double-arched window apparently lacking a church at its base stands out among the roofs of Ravenna’s historical centre in Via IV Novembre.

The former CHURCH OF SAN MICHELE IN AFRICISCO today hosts a shop, where the polygonal apse and the 15th-century cross vaulted chapel are still partly visible.

History of a “gone” basilica

Among the treasure of Byzantine architecture in Ravenna, this small building is the only one that has undergone a diaspora.

Dating back to the 6th century AD, its construction was financed by banker Julius Argentarius (who had also financially contributed to the construction of the Basilica of San Vitale and the Basilica of Sant’Apollinare in Classe) and a relative of his,  Bacauda, as a votive offering to Archangel Michael.

Consecrated in 547 AD by Bishop Maximian, the church of San Michele in Africisco owes its name to the area of the city in which it rose during the 10th-11th century, called ad Frigiselo.

The three-nave building, originally divided by columns, was probably decorated with marvellous mosaics, including the outstanding one of the apse, then purchased by Frederick Willian IV of Prussia and kept in the Bode Museum in Berlin.

The building underwent a long series of restorations over time; for instance, the façade and the square bell tower were added at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries.

Other remains witnessing the high-quality materials used for the construction of this church are kept in the Ravenna National Museum: a fragment of a mosaic depicting flowers, two repurposed capitals (spolia) and a very elaborate transenna.

The church was continuously renovated over the years, and a still visible bell tower was added in the 14th century.

After the Napoleonic looting of art, in 1805 the church – already in poor condition – was definitively deconsecrated and sold for 80 scudi to Andrea Cicognani, who turned the left aisle into fish shops for the nearby market.

The church was finally deprived of its precious treasures, starting from the apse mosaic.



The “gone” mosaics of the church of San Michele in Africisco

The church of San Michele in Africisco was decorated by stunning wall and floor mosaics, with an extraordinary apse mosaic standing out among the others, which was purchased in 1843 by the king of Prussia and is now displayed in the Bode Museum in Berlin, far away from Ravenna.

The mosaic depicts a berdless Christ holding a long cross and an open codex, with the figures of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel at his sides.

On the triumphal arch the iconography is the same: an enthroned Christ with archangels, the seven angels of the Apocalypse and the Saints Cosmas and Damian at his sides. In the intrados of the arch are plants and doves around a central Lamb.

Further information

Opening times

The remains of the church were embedded into a shop in the historical centre of Ravenna, and are thus visible only by entering it.

How to get there

The church is located in the historical centre of Ravenna, in a Limited Traffic Zone.

By bus: bus n. 70, bus stop in Piazza Baracca. For more information:

On foot / by bike: the building is easily reachable on foot or by bike from the railway station.

By car: paid parking areas in Piazza Baracca, Largo Giustiniano or Piazza della Resistenza. For more information on parking areas click HERE.

A cura della Redazione Locale

Last edit:22 March 2022

You may also like:

Non ci sono risultati per i filtri selezionati