It was in this hunting lodge on the edge of the Pialassa Baiona lagoon, built in 1810 by Don Giuseppe Roncuzzi, known as Don Masone, that Giuseppe Garibaldi found shelter, fleeing from Rome after the fall of the Republic on 2 July 1849.
Garibaldi arrived here on 7th June thanks to the intervention of Fabio Urbini, Francesco Grilli, Giovanni Santucci, Alessandro Fabbri, Paolo della Scala and the owner at the time, Curzio Rasponi Del Sale. From here he was then taken to Savio, Ravenna and, travelling along the Via Ravegnana, he reached Forlì, and then, under the guidance of Don Giovanni Verità, he went to Tuscany and finally to Genoa, escaping the Austrians.
The hut, managed and guarded since 1882 by the Società Conservatrice del Capanno Garibaldi, was destroyed by fire in 1911 but immediately rebuilt.
The building, faithfully restored, has a masonry exterior, a steeply sloping roof covered with reeds, a characteristic of these huts. Four plaques on the outside commemorate the Risorgimento events of the Trafila, or the escape of Garibaldi and his 250 troops on 13 bragozzi to Venice.
Inside the hut is the hearth room and a smaller room for sheltering animals. On the second floor there is an attic where Garibaldi’s men hid. Here, even today, there are still some memories of their passage, a bust and some pictures of the Hero of the Two Worlds.