The Speyer Gardens, located between Via Carducci and Via Farini, are named after the German city of Speyer, twinned with Ravenna. They are just a short walk from the railway station and the historic centre.
A number of redevelopment works opened spaces for new lawns, several benches, flower beds with ornamental plants and pedestrian paths in porphyry and stone.
Since 1989, a bronze and marble work entitled “Stele con Testa” has been on display in this city park. It was created by the German sculptor Wolf Spitzer (1940) and donated by the city of Speyer to Ravenna on the occasion of the town twinning. The sculpture represents the values of humanity and attention to others.
Later, another work, “La Gerusalemme Celeste” (The Heavenly Jerusalem), designed by Enzo Pezzi and created by the pupils of the Consorzio Provinciale per la Formazione Professionale di Ravenna (Provincial Consortium for Vocational Training of Ravenna), was installed.
It reminds of the Jerusalem skyline, often referred to in the mosaic masterpieces of the Ravenna basilicas of San Vitale and Sant’Apollinare Nuovo.
Bordering the Speyer Gardens is the beautiful Basilica di S. Giovanni Evangelista (Basilica of Saint John the Evangelist).