BETA VERSION
Official Tourist Information Site
Municipality of Ravenna

Church of San Nicolò

Via Rondinelli, 2 - Ravenna
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

Just a few metres from the Classense Library, right in front of the Church of San Romualdo, there is the CHURCH OF SAN NICOLÒ, today house of the Tamo Museum.

The church was built as a homage to St. Nicholas (or Nicolò), the patron saint of Bari. The church, along with the adjacent monastery, was built around the second half of the 13th century to host the Hermits of St. Augustine in Ravenna.

The new building replaced the former Church of St. Nicholas of the Brittinians or “in vineis” dating back to the 8th century AD, located right outside the city walls.

A troubled history of changes and restorations

Over the centuries, the building underwent various changes. In the 14th century, the church was rebuilt and two centuries after, a bell tower was added. Since then, it had maintained its one-nave structure with a polygonal apsis, marked by a Gothic architectural style and a ceiling with cross vaults.

In the second half of the 14th century, Maestro San Nicolò carried out the major ornamental interventions, painting the cycle of St. George. Cesare Pronti, who had been one of Guercino’s pupils, decorated the chapel of St. Monica and St. Augustine, along with the seven altarpieces, at the end of the 17th century.

The church served religious purposes until 1866. Since then, the prayer’s room became first a machine warehouse, and later it was sold to the Ministry of War. From that moment, the church had been repeatedly plundered over the years, until 1921, when it became a military garage.

When the church became a municipal property in 1983, it was systematically restored and became an exhibition area.

Today, the ancient Church of San Nicolò houses namely the Tamo Museum, a permanent exhibition dedicated to the fascinating history of mosaic — from Antiquity up to these days.

CONTACTS

Further information

Opening times

From March 19th
From Monday to Friday: 10 am – 5 pm
Saturdays and Sundays: 2 pm – 6 pm

COVID-19: INFORMATION FOR VISITORS
Access to the monument is allowed only on presenting the EU Digital COVID Certificate issued after vaccination or recovery from COVID-19 (Super Green Pass) or an equivalent certificate issued by health authorities, compulsory for everyone over the age of 12.

Closing time

The church is closed until December 25th and on December 31st.

Entrance fee

Ticket: €4
Concession (students, ICOM members, accompanying person of people with disabilities), groups with min. 15 persons: €3

Combined ticket (Rasponi Crypt + Domus of the Stone Carpets + Tamo): €7

Guided tour for groups: €60 up to 20 persons, then +€3 for each person

Advanced booking is highly recommended on: info.ravennantica.it

Free of charge

Children (under 6 years old); journalists; people with disabilities; RavennAntica Friends, Italian tour guides; group leaders; Mibact members; servicepersons

Accessibility

The church is accessible to people with physical disabilities.

How to get there

The church is located in the city centre, within a Limited Traffic Area (ZTL – Zona a Traffico Limitato).

On foot or bike: the church can be easily reached on foot or bike from the railway station (about 1.2 km).

By car: near the church are several car parking lots. See the map HERE.

By bus: bus stop at 50 m. from the church, in Piazza Caduti della Libertà.

A cura della Redazione Locale
E-mail: turismo@comune.ravenna.it

Last edit:21 March 2022

You may also like:

Non ci sono risultati per i filtri selezionati

Previous
Next
[uwp_login]