Entirely dedicated to mosaic, of which Ravenna is one of the world capitals, the TAMO MUSEUM offers a comprehensive journey in the history of this ancient art.
Tamo is not just a museum in the strict sense, but rather a fascinating journey. It takes you to wonder and get to know this ancient, thousand-year old art.
The Church of San Nicolò
The monumental complex of the Church of San Nicolò, just a few metres away from the Classense Library, has been hosting the museum since 2012.
Built around the second half of the 13th century on a former 8th-century old oratory, the building has undergone a series of works that even changed its intended use over time.
In 1866, the church was deconsecrated; in 1921, it became a military garage; and lastly, in 1983, it became a municipal property.
The mosaic collection
The museum displays many excellent finds, which are part of the mosaic heritage of Ravenna and its territory.
They range from antique to modern and contemporary artworks, including finds of Late Antiquity, the Middle Ages and even some samples of industrial mosaic.
The exhibition is extremely innovative and features interactive, multimedia and scenographic settings, further enhanced by models, work tools, materials, animated reconstructions, and advanced technological solutions.
Furthermore, the museum has a permanent exhibition room entitled “Il Genio delle Acque” (lit. the Spirit of Waters, see focus).
The room houses mosaic floors of a Roman domus of the imperial age, recovered during renovation works carried out in Ravenna, in Piazza Anita Garibaldi.
Mosaics between Hell and Heaven
Among the many collections on display, a special mention goes to the section of the museum with works dedicated to Dante.
The room counts 21 panels – some even of large size – commissioned in 1965 by the Municipality of Ravenna, on the occasion of the 7th centenary of Dante’s birth.
The works, realized on carton by Italian artists (such as Purificato, Cantatore, Gentilini, Mattioli, Ruffini, Morigi Berti, Sassu and Saetti) were translated into mosaic by expert craftsmen of Ravenna, among them Libera Musiani, Giuseppe Salietti, Santo Spartà, Sergio Cicognani and Renato Signorini.