PORTA RAVEGNANA (or Portonaccio) was built in 1785 by architect Camillo Morigia(1743-95) to celebrate the inauguration of the new Via Ravegnana, the ancient link between Ravenna and Forlì, which had fallen into disrepair and was then restored thanks to the fundings of cardinal Valenti Gonzaga.
Rather than another entrance to the city, it appears as a celebratory arch. The structure is indeed not part of the city walls, but is located in Borgo San Rocco, only 200 metres away from another monumental access, Porta Sisi.
Realised with bricks and inserts of Istrian stone, Porta Ravegnana was built on the place where previously stood a fortified outpost of the city walls, an ancient crenellated arch called Portonaccio, from which one of the names of the new construction comes.
The structure of the gate – with just one arch – is simple, austere and linear. On either side are two small passages intended for pedestrians.