Porta Adriana, also known as Porta Aurea Nova, is located at the end of Via Cavour (west side), near Piazza Baracca, with its most monumental external side opening onto Via Maggiore.
It was probably built in the tenth century, on the right bank of the Montone, a tributary of the Padenna. However, a more significant version dates back to the mid-sixteenth century, when, for military reasons and at the wish of the cardinal legate Capoferro, it was reoriented. A few decades later, the cardinal legate Guido Ferreri redesigned it, adorning it with the marble and paterae of the Porta Aurea, demolished in the same year.
The facade facing the city was further restored in 1615 and the two circular columns were replaced by two rectangular towers in 1700. In 1857, on the occasion of Pope Pius IX’s visit to Ravenna, the gate was enlarged: two columns were added, the entablature enlarged and the attic added, at the top of which a statue of the pontiff was placed.
Two bas-reliefs representing pine trees, the symbol of the city, were applied to the pedestals of the side columns. The two lions were also restored and two walkways were opened on either side of the archway, between the column bases. On either side of the gate, a portion of the brick wall is visible, with a decorative curb built of white and red Ammonite Veronese limestone.
In 1904, all the cornices and side columns were rebuilt in cement and the paterae were removed. Finally, in 1968, the door underwent further extensive restoration. Next to the gate is a monument in memory of Pier Paolo d’Attorre, a fine intellectual and former mayor of the city, designed by the Chilean artist Mathias Biehler, representing a bench on which an overcoat and a book rest.
The work was created by contemporary mosaicist Luciana Notturni, with the participation of young students from mosaic schools.