Photo Gallery

Menu di livello

Home >Discover the area > Nature and environment > Sea and beaches > The port of Ravenna

The port of Ravenna

The history of the Port of Ravenna dates back to the 1st century B.C., when emperor Augustus chose it for the stationing of one of his two imperial fleets because of its favourable geographical position. Even after the decline of the Empire in the 3rd century AD, the activity of the port remained intense; during the Byzantine rule it lived another golden age, that is depicted in the mosaics of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo.

The port was subsequently silted up, damaged by floods and moved from one bend of the lagoon surrounding the town to the other. The intervention of the Papal State put an end to this situation and to the decline it suffered in the following centuries. As a consequence, in 1738 began the activity of Corsini Port (Porto Corsini, named after Pope Clement XII), a 11 km-long canal connecting the city to the sea.

The development of the Port of Ravenna as an important international harbour dates back to the last postwar years, when the discovery of extensive offshore gas fields led to the establishment of a number of refineries and petrochemical plants. The oil crisis of the 70s particularly enhanced the commercial purpose of the port.

Today, the Port of Ravenna is a large and dynamic structure offering a wide range of services for all kinds of goods. The port can benefit from important public and private investments aimed at improving its infrastructures, as well as extending and specializing its facilities in order to achieve the highest quality standards.


> Latitude 44° 29' North
> Longitude 12° 17' East
> Salt water density of the canal: 1015 - 1030
Lying on the Adriatic coast, the Port of Ravenna is the Italian leader in the trade with the East Mediterranean countries and with the Black Sea, and plays an important role in the trade with the Middle and Far East.

Length of the docks
> Length of Candiano Canal from Porto Corsini to the city dock: 11 km
> Length of Piomboni Canal 2.5 km
> Length of Piomboni Canal 2.5 km

Cruise and ferry terminal
The Passenger and Ferry Terminal of Ravenna extends over an area of 125.000 square metres and has two berths for ferries and one berth for cruise liners. The Terminal is located a few minutes from the center of Ravenna and has depth of 10.5 metres.

Working hours
The Port of Ravenna is open all day long.

Edited by the editorial team

Contact us at:

Last modified date: 10/12/2015



» The Port Authority of Ravenna

Naviga nei documenti della stessa sezione