Palazzo Bracci (Bracci Palace), now Albergo Cappello, was built in 1468 in the surroundings of the church of San Michele in Africisco by joining ancient houses lined along the bank of Padenna river.
From the outside, the building looks quite sober. Its bricks are brightened up by finely engraved Istrian stone stripes, visible in the marble column balcony. This is decorated by two pinecones placed on top of the corner pillars, which represent a widespread feature of private Ravenna buildings of the Venetian period.
When the house became a hotel in 1885, four large ground floor windows were removed and three big front door were opened. In addition, three small arched windows on the façade were replaced by rectangular ones.
The palace houses many interesting frescoes. In particular, the wood ceiling of the long room on the groud floor shows secular and mythological scenes alternated with profile portraits of a man and a woman, as well as the coats of arms of the two influent families at the time of Venetian rule, Bracci and Rasponi.
According to a popular tradition, Francesca da Polenta (The Divine Comedy, Canto V) was born in this building; this is evidently impossible, though, since the palace was erected approximately two centuries after her death.
Edited by the editorial team
Contact us at: email@example.com
Last modified date: 04/05/2018