The first stone of Dante Alighieri Theatre was laid in September 1840, when the city decided to build a new structure rather than restoring the old “Comunicativo” theatre. The new building was then erected in a marginal, decaying, though central area of Ravenna: the so-called Piazzetta degli Svizzeri (now Piazza Garibaldi).
The construction of the theatre was entrusted by the Deputation to the Venetian brothers Tommaso and Giambattista Meduna (respectively engineer and architect), previously involved in the second restoration of the Fenice Theatre in Venice.
During the inauguration night on 15th May 1852, the new theatre Alighieri was recognized as one of the best equipped theatres in Italy. Many are the artists and world-wide known personalities that were received in its parterre, stage and orchestra pit: from Gabriele D'Annunzio to Maria Callas starring in 1954 La forza del destino.
The project by brothers Medusa turned the theatre into the crown jewel of Ravenna's cultural scenery in about two centuries, thanks to the dense programme of concerts, ballet, prose, opera, and also is seat of some of Ravenna Festival's summer events.
Dante Alighieri Theatre can be visited upon reservation. The guided tour will last approx. 1 hour and will be available in Italian or English.
Ticket: 4€; concession 3€ (under 18, over 65, groups of min. 10 people, university students with badge)
Info and reservations (min. 4 people, 24 hours before): firstname.lastname@example.org / +39 347 5574815
The theatre is located in the controlled traffic zone, close to a pay and display car park (Largo Firenze)and to the University. Bus stop in front of the building.
Edited by the editorial team
Contact us at: email@example.com
Last modified date: 09/05/2018