Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi began to take shape in 1852, at the time when the Alighieri theatre was built on a free lot called Largo Degli Svizzeri, thus delimiting its first side.
In 1895, the head office of Cassa di Risparmio was opened on the opposite side of the theatre. In 1926, the new Post Office building was erected on the former 17th century Treasury and joined to the palace of the papal legate (later prefecture of Ravenna). The building of the prefecture delimits the square to the north and shows an 1880 sundial realized by Giovanni Zaffi Gardella from Ravenna.
In the middle of the square rises the monument of Giuseppe Garibaldi, built by Giulio Franchi and unveiled in 1892, ten years after Garibaldi’s death. It was first placed in front of San Francesco church and then transported to this square in 1936, to whom it was dedicated.
Edited by the editorial team
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified date: 11/04/2019