Built between 1780 and 1782, Dante's Tomb was commissioned by the cardinal Luigi Valenti Gonzaga, from a project by the architect Camillo Morigia from Ravenna, who followed the neoclassical norms of that time. The cardinal's aim was to restore the nobility and decency of Dante's burial. Up until then, the remains of the poet had been preserved in a little chapel that underwent several restorations over the centuries. After being kept hidden by the Franciscan friars for a long time, in order to protect them from the Florentines who had claimed them, Dante's remains were found in 1865 and they have been resting in the new tomb ever since.
In occasion of the 600th anniversary (Centenario dantesco) of Dante's death in 1921, the interior was covered with polichrome marbles; a beautiful low relief portraying the poet was carved in 1483 by Pietro Lombardo and placed onto the wall in front of the tomb's entrance; a bronze and silver wreath lies at the foot of the sepulchral ark, it was donated to Ravenna by the victorious army after the First World War; on the right side you find the refined ampoule by Giovanni Mayer, donated by the Istrian cities in 1908.
Next to Dante's mausoleum is the courtyard with the so-called Quadrarco di Braccioforte, an ancient oratory that takes its name from the legend of two people who invoked the "Braccio forte" (strong arm) of the Saviour as guarantor of their contract, whose image was painted in the oratory. Two sarcophagi dating back to the 5th century - and reused later by the Pignata and Traversari families - are preserved in the Quadrarco. At the centre of the garden a green hump reminds us of the place where Dante's remains were preserved during the Second World War.
Dante's Tomb, the courtyard with the Quadrarco and the Franciscan cloisters, where Dante's Museum is located, are all part of the so-called "Zona del Silenzio" (Area of Silence), an area of quietness and respect that encompasses the places of Dante in Ravenna. It was given its current appearance in 1936 by the architect Giorgio Rosi.
Mondays to Fridays: 10am - 6pm
Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays (from 11th to 19th August): 10am - 7pm
Dante's Tomb is closed on December 25th
The museum is situated in the controlled traffic zone of the city centre. Bus stop (all bus lines) 20m away, car park 50m away, coach park 20m away. Close to the Garden of Provincia Palace, Basilica of S. Francesco and Dante Museum.
Edited by the editorial team
Contact us at: email@example.com
Last modified date: 20/06/2018