Porta San Mamante is located to the south of Ravenna, between Via Baccarini, Via Bastioni and Via S. Mama. The ancient gate, going back to the 11th century AD, has always been dedicated to San Mama, as reported in documents from the 12th century. The name of the gate originates from the nearby church and monastery of San Mamante. The present construction of bricks and Istrian stone dates back to 1613.
Two pillars with Tuscan capitals rest on a base and support a massive architrave. The gate was completely rebuilt in its current form between 1612-1615, at the time when Domenico Rivarola was cardinal legate. In the attic over the arch, an inscription on the plaque held up by two rampant lions commemorates the event and reads: S.P.Q.RAV. Portam hanc Prisca potentiae monumentum temporis iniuria collapsam hostiumque incursionibus devastam erigi aperiri MDCXIII.
How to get there
The gate is located in the city centre. Bus line 3, bus stops in via Romolo Ricci and via San Mama. Pay and display car park in Via Romolo Ricci and via Castel San Pietro; free car park in Via Renato Serra. Close to Complex of San Nicolò, Risorgimento Museum and to Classense library.
Edited by the editorial team
Contact us at: email@example.com
Last modified date: 13/04/2015