Porta Nuova is considered as one of the most beautiful gates of the city of Ravenna. It is located south of the town, where Via di Roma meets the road leading to Rimini, now via Cesarea. It was built in 1580 under the name of Porta Gregoriana, in honour of the reigning Pope Gregory XIII.
The gate is decorated with precious marbles coming from the demolition of Port'Aurea; its passageway is framed by two grey granite columns with Corinthian capitals supporting the marble entablature. The attic is topped by the coat of arms of Pope Innocent X, framed by two cornucopias and showing a dove that carries an olive branch in its beak as a symbol of peace. Over the dove, three lilies are separated by sculpted poles.
How to get there
The gate is located in the city centre. Bus line 4, bus stop in Via di Roma. Bus parking in Via S. Baldini; close to a free car park. In the surroundings of the Public Gardens, Santa Maria in Porto and Mar - City Art Museum of Ravenna.
Edited by the editorial team
Contact us at: email@example.com
Last modified date: 06/04/2017