Built between 1701 and 1728, the Church of Santa Maria del Suffragio was commissioned by the Confraternity of Beata Vergine dei Suffragi and designed by architect Francesco Fontana. The structure of the baroque church is quite unusual for the city of Ravenna: the central-plan building has an octagonal perimeter with alternating long and short sides. In the interior, a chapel corresponds to each side of the octagon.
The statues and bas-reliefs of the façade are the work of artists Celio and Giovanni Toschini from Ravenna, while Antonio Martinetti sculpted the eight stucco statues of the inside. Behind the altar hangs a fine painting by Andrea Barbiani.
Every day: 8am - 12pm / 2.30pm - 5pm
The church is situated in the controlled traffic zone of the city centre. Bus stop for all routes 200m away. Coach parking in Viale Farini, 300m away; car park in Piazza Mameli, 300m away. Wheelchair accessible.
Edited by the editorial team
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified date: 06/04/2017