The Church of Santa Maria Maggiore was erected by bishop Ecclesius between 525 and 532 and rebuilt in 1671 in baroque style on the basis of a design by Pietro Grossi. The cylindrical bell-tower dates back to the 9th/10th century. Pieces of evidence of the former building are the original columns and their capitals, as well as the inside division into a nave and two side aisles.
The church hosts late-Renaissance paintings and sculptures and the tomb of the Ravenna architect Camillo Morigia (1743-1795). At the bottom of the left aisle, it is possible to admire a painting by Luca Longhi, that portrays Saint Paul visiting Saint Agatha in prison.
Every day: 9am - 12pm
Santa Maria Maggiore is situated in the controlled traffic zone of the city centre, in a small square just behind the apse of San Vitale. Bus stop Piazza Baracca (route 1). Coach and car park 300m away, guarded car park 150m away. The church is a few steps from Basilica of S. Vitale, Mausoleum of Galla Placidia and National Museum.
Edited by the editorial team
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified date: 06/02/2020