The Church of San Giovanni Battista was built before the 9th century. Its contemporary bell tower shows two rows of big single lancet windows topped by double lancet and triple lancet windows.
The building was first destroyed and then rebuilt to its present shape in 1683 by Pietro Grossi, one of the most active architects in Ravenna in the second half of the 17th century. Between 17th and 18th century, the diocesan administration carried out a series of restoration works in numerous religious buildings of the town, in order to counteract the phenomenon of subsidence.
To distinguish it from Church of San Giovanni Evangelista, the church is commonly known as "Sân Zvan dla zôla" (“Saint John of the onion”), because of an onion festival traditionally taking place in June in the churchyard during the celebrations for San Giovanni.
A Neapolitan nativity scene is permanently on display inside the basilica, as well as a precious collection of paintings by local artists from the 15th to the 18th century.
Every day: 8am - 12pm /3pm - 6pm. During Sunday masses (at 9.30am, 11.30am, 5.30pm) and Saturday evening masses, visits are suspended
The Basilica is situated in the city centre. Bus stop 50m away; car park in the surroundings. Wheelchair accessible
Edited by the editorial team
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified date: 15/06/2016