Rocca Brancaleone was built by the Venetians in 1457 with the purpose of reinforcing the defensive structures of the city. It stood in an uninhabited area to the north-east of the city walls, close to the road that led to Venice.
The main construction of the fortress was the Rocca itself, a wide quadrilateral surface measuring 2180 square metres with four impressing circular towers at the corners, joined by walls. To the south rises the socalled Cittadella, a 14.000 square-meter area once used for the accommodation of the garrisons, for the storage of foodstuffs and arms, for the stalls and for other purposes. Surrounded by walls and protected by a fortified gate, the Cittadella had two circular and two semicircular defensive towers at its corners. Around the fortress ran a wide moat that, notwithstanding the filling works, still shows traces of its existence.
The fortress now hosts the Rocca Brancaleone public gardens.
September: every day 8am - 7.30pm
October: every day 8am - 6pm
From November: every day 8am - 5pm
The fortress is located in the surroundings of the city centre, at a 5 minute walk from the railway station. Car park nearby; bus park in viale Farini. Bus stop 20m away for routes 2, 3 and 5.
Edited by the editorial team
Contact us at: email@example.com
Last modified date: 06/09/2016